Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list of frequently asked questions about the Scottish Legal Complaints Commission; how complaints are handled; and what you can do if you are not satisfied with how your complaint has been handled.


The following FAQs relate to the complaints handling process, how to complain and what to do when your complaint has reached its conclusion.

Is there anything I need to do before I submit a service/conduct complaint to the SLCC?
What do I need to provide to make a complaint?
What is the difference between a service and conduct complaint?
What is a handling complaint?
What are the time limits for making complaints?
Can the SLCC accept complaints about inadequate professional services which pre-date January 1989?
The legal practitioner I wish to complain about is no longer practising; can I still make a complaint?
Are there legal service complaints the SLCC does not investigate?
What happens after I make a Conduct or Service complaint to the SLCC?
What happens if mediation is unsuccessful in resolving service complaints?
How long will it take to resolve my complaint?
Does it cost anything to make a complaint to the SLCC?
What can the SLCC decide if my service complaint is upheld?
Will I be given a copy of the SLCC's decision?
What happens if I don’t accept the settlement proposed by the Case Investigator in the investigation report?
What can I do if I am unhappy with a decision made by the SLCC?
What happened to the Scottish Legal Services Ombudsman?
Can I complain about someone else’s solicitor? (this is called a third party complaint)
Can I make a complaint about SLCC staff?
I am unhappy with my solicitor’s bill, what can I do?
Can I make the complaint on behalf of someone else?
Will the Law Society of Scotland and Faculty of Advocates still have a role in investigating complaints?
Do I still need to complain to the practitioner/firm even if I was not their client? Should I expect a response?
What happens if the SLCC decides the professional organisation’s investigation wasn’t fair and thorough?
Does the professional organisation have to accept the SLCC’s recommendations?
Can the SLCC accept complaints about legal practitioners acting as child welfare reporters?
Will the SLCC refund the cost of instructing a solicitor to make a complaint on my behalf?
Will my Case Investigator be legally qualified?


General FAQs about the SLCC.

Is the SLCC independent?
Can the SLCC provide me with legal advice?
What is meant by the term "Commissioners"?
How do I contact the SLCC?

If you have a question that has not been answered by one of the questions above, please contact us and we'll do our best to answer your query.