SLCC Rules 2015 - Frequently Asked Questions
SLCC Rules 2015 and Act changes
- When do the new Rules, and the changes to the Act, come into force?
The new Rules, and the changes to the Act, take effect from 1 January 2015 and will apply to all complaints received by the SLCC on or after that date.
- Have the SLCC time limits been changed?
The time limits for making complaints have not been changed and remain the same as before. We may be making changes to them at a later date to comply with the European ADR Directive.
- Can the SLCC now discontinue complaints?
Yes, but the Rules specify the basis on which these steps can be taken. A complaint can be discontinued if there has been repeated non-communication from the complainer, for example, or if a complainer asks that their complaint be withdrawn. We won’t discontinue a complaint because a single letter has not been replied to.
- If the SLCC discontinues a complaint, can it be reinstated?
It can, but again only in certain circumstances, for example where a reasonable explanation has been given and is made within reasonable timescales.
- Can I ask for a review of a decision to discontinue or reinstate a complaint?
Yes, you can ask that the SLCC review its decision. Any request must be made in writing to the Head of Investigations within 14 days of the decision to discontinue/reinstate.
- Will I be told whether my request for review is successful?
Yes, we will consider any representations made about our decision to discontinue/reinstate a complaint and will give notice in writing of the outcome of our review, including the reasons for that decision.
- Can solicitors and advocates now make handling complaints?
Yes, but only in relation to conduct complaints which are received by the SLCC on or after 1 January 2015.
- What is the purpose of the Consumer Panel and what powers does it have?
The Panel has three functions which are now set out in the Act. It has been set up to:
- Make recommendations to the Commission for improvements to its policies and procedures;
- Make suggestions to the SLCC of potential research topics; and
- Express views, on the request of the SLCC, on matters relevant to the Commission’s functions.